THE ELITE RODEO ATHLETES ANNOUNCE
2016 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFYING RACE TO DALLAS
BOERNE, TX (October 28, 2015) – Today, the Elite Rodeo Athletes (ERA) announces a qualification system that will give rodeo athletes an opportunity to earn a spot on the roster of the 2016 World Championships to be held November 9-13 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas.
“We want the ERA to be about the very best talent, so we designed the 2016 qualification system so that all rodeo athletes have a way to earn a place at the World Championships based on their ability,” said Ryan Motes, ERA Athlete and Qualification System Committee member.
In 2016, two qualifying contestants in each event will have the opportunity to go up against the 10 seeded ERA tour athletes to vying for a 3 million dollar purse during the 5-day World Championship event. Prize money isn’t the only thing they will be battling for, but to end up in top 7 of the 2016 ERA World Standings, which will secure them a position on the 2017 ERA Tour. Any contestants that find themselves in the bottom 3 of the 2016 ERA World Standings will “fall off” and have the ability to rise again through the 2017 ERA Qualifying Race.
Throughout the month of October, the ERA has released an impressive lineup of 10 world-class athletes per event that will be competing at each tour stop. With one event left to announce, they aren’t done wowing fans.
“We love to hear fan feedback and it was clear that fans wanted to know the 2016 Qualification System. This innovative system has never been executed in the history of rodeo, proving that it’s a ‘New ERA in professional rodeo,’” said Tony Garritano, CEO and President of ERA. He went on to say that the 2017 Qualification System will be released the following Wednesday, November 4th at 6 CST through ERA’s social media channels.
Much like in other professional sports, the ERA Qualifying Race to Dallas and the ERA Tour will be point based, with heavier point values associated with winning at a higher level of competition (ERA Tour).
2016 ERA QUALIFYING RACE TO DALLAS
The 2016 Qualifying Race to Dallas will begin halfway through the 2016 ERA Tour season. Rodeo athletes can earn points by placing at any rodeo they choose that fits the ERA’s definition of an approved rodeo (see definition below). The qualifying system can be broken down into 4 steps:
Join, Declare, Win=Points, Compete at Dallas
- Join: Any athlete desiring to earn one of the two event qualifier spots at the World Championships will join by going to erarodeo.com and registering to become an ERA Qualifier. Each athlete will be given a secured login to his or her Qualifier page.
- Declare: On their personal secured login qualifier page, each athlete can declare the rodeos they would like for ERA to count towards their qualifying points. This must be done 24 hours before the beginning competition in the event you are designating and meet the ERA’s qualifying rodeo requirements. Athlete can only designate 15 rodeos to count towards their point standings.
- Win=Points: After the completion of the declared rodeo, the qualifier will earn points based on any paid place they receive. Points will be given in all rounds where they won a paid place.
- Compete at Dallas: Athletes that find themselves in the top 2 of their event’s standings at the end of the qualifying race will advance to the 2016 ERA World Championships in Dallas, Texas.
BENEFITS OF THE QUALIFICATION SYSTEM
The structure of the ERA Qualifying Race will potentially revolutionize the sport of rodeo as a whole, as it will encourage the production of high quality events and increase contestant participation at those events regardless of organization type.
“By introducing a unique concept like the ERA, it is our hope to increase the awareness of the sport of rodeo on a national stage” said 21-time World Champion Cowboy and ERA Athlete, Trevor Brazile upon the launch of the ERA in August. “Enhancing the sport of professional rodeo and building something greater for the future generations of rodeo cowboys and cowgirls is the goal of the ERA. We look forward to working with the entire rodeo industry.”
Bobby Mote, 4-time World Champion Bareback Rider and ERA Athlete, also explained the reasoning behind why qualifiers can declare their rodeo up to 24 hours before the rodeo he said, “We wanted to take “luck of the draw” out of the equation as much as possible so the qualifying athletes will be able to get their position and stock call backs before they decide to designate that rodeo for ERA points.”
DEFINING QUALIFYING RODEOS
-Must have all 7 standard rodeo disciplines, unless competition is an ERA approved event.
- Bareback Riding
- Steer Wrestling
- Saddle Bronc Riding
- Tie-down Roping
- Team Roping
- Bull Riding
- Barrel Racing
– Must have a minimum of $5,000.00 added money in the event that you are declaring points in.
– The rodeo may not have limits less than 36 entries per discipline.
– Can be any organization or open rodeo whose results are public and verifiable.
Information on the 2017 Qualification System will be released on November 4, 2016 at 6:00 PM CST on ERA’s social media channels and on erarodeo.com.