Rodeo notes: Birthday boy Yates off to tie-down finals
Marty Yates received one heck of a 21st birthday present on Monday — a trip to championship Sunday at the Calgary Stampede.
The Stephenville, Texas, cowboy drew a co-operative calf from a pen of particularly difficult animals on this day and was able to wrap it up in 7.5-seconds.
He was also happy considering that through four days of competition he had two no time-decisions including Sunday.
“Those calves were a little funny today,” said Yates who earned $11,000 after four days of work in Pool A competition. “I’m just happy to get through that set. I was a little (worried) after (Sunday) but I’m a run-and-gun style. I knew if I made a good run (Monday), I’d be coming back.”
Between now and Sunday, Yates plans on heading to Wyoming to attend rodeos in Sheridan and Casper along with fellow tie-down ropers Hunter Herrin and Ryan Jarrett, who’ll also be advancing to Sunday’s final. Also advancing from Pool A’s group of cowboys is Blair Burk of Durant, Okla.
“(The Stampede) is one of the biggest ones we ever go to,” Yates said. “It’s real nice. That’s the main reason why we come here.
“Not only for the great venue and fans, but the money too.”
CANUCK BAREBACKERS THROUGH
Four Canadian bareback riders are headed to Sunday’s final action.
But it was Ty Taypotat who left it until the last minute.
The Regina native produced an 84-point ride on Monday aboard a horse called Global Rocket and the first-placed cheque was enough to squeak him among the final four. Also qualifying was Kyle Bowers of Brooks, Clint Laye of Cadogan and Luke Creasy of Brownfield.
As for the saddle bronc event, 19-year-old Rusty Wright continued his hot streak with the day’s best ride worth 89-point performance aboard Southern Lights.
He’ll advance to Sunday’s final along with his dad and former Stampede champion Cody, Chet Johnson of Douglas, W.Y., and Cody DeMoss of Heflin, La.
MILAN ADDS TO TOTAL
After four days of work, it’s safe to say Cochrane’s Tanner Milan has cleaned up.
Along with a berth in Sunday’s championship final, he claimed $19,000 in day money. On Monday, he had the third-fastest time of 4.2-seconds. He’ll be joined on Sunday along with K.C. Jones of Decatur, Tex., Nick Guy of Sparta, Wi., and Kyle Irwin of Robertsdale, Ala.
The day’s fastest cowboy, however, will b forced to return on Wild-Card Saturday.
Seth Brockman of Wheatland, Wy., was red-hot and threw down his steer in 3.5-seconds which was the only day money he won all week.
“Rodeo’s one of those things, when things are going your way, it doesn’t matter what happens, you’re gonna win,” he said. “It’s just how it goes. I didn’t win anything the first three rounds, but as long as I’m in that four-man (final) on Sunday, I’ll do whatever it takes to get there.”
In the barrel racing, Mary Walker of Ennis, Tex., Fallon Taylor of Collinsville, Tex., Carmel Wright of Hamilton, New Zeland, and Nancy Hunter of Neloa, Ut., are off to Sunday’s final.
CALGARY STAMPEDE RODEO RESULTS
DAY 4 — POOL A
1. Marty Yates, Stephenville TX (7.5); 2. Blair Burke, Durant OK (7.7); 3. Ryan Jarrett, Comanche OK (8.2); 4. Curtis Cassidy, Donalda AB (8.7); 5. Hunter Herrin, Apache OK (9.6).
1. Blair Burke, Durant OK ($18,000); 2. Ryan Jarrett, Comanche OK ($15,500); 3. Marty Yates, Stephenville TX ($11,000); 4. Hunter Herrin, Apache OK ($10,000).
1. Seth Brockman, Wheatland WY (3.5); 2. Justin Miller, Neepawa MB (4.0); 3. Tanner Milan, Cochrane AB (4.2); 4. Kyle Irwin, Robertdale AL (4.3); 5. Nick Guy, Sparta WI (4.5).
1. Tanner Milan, Cochrane AB ($19,000); 2.KC Jones, Decatur TX ($10,500); 3. Nick Guy, Sparta WI ($10,000); 4. Kyle Irwin, Robertsdale AL ($7,000).
1. Kassidy Dennison, Tohatchi NM (17.41); 2. Mary Walker, Ennis TX (17.59); 3. Julie Leggett, Kamloops BC (17.67); 4. Fallon Taylor, Collinsville TX (17.70); 5. Michele McLeod, Whitesboro TX (17.73).
1. Mary Walker, Ennis TX ($17,000); 2. Fallon Taylor, Collinsville TX ($16,000); 3. Carmel Wright, Hamilton NZ; 3. ($12,500); 4. Nancy Hunter, Neloa UT ($8,500).
1. Ty Taypotat, Regina SK (84); 2. Matt Lait, Cayley AB (83.5); 3. Luke Creasy, Brownfield AB (82); 4. Kyle Bowers, Brooks AB (81); 5/5. Tanner Aus, Granite Falls MT; Dusty LaValley, Bezanson AB (80).
1. Clint Laye, Cadogan AB ($13,500); 2. Kyle Bowers, Brooks AB ($12,500); 3. Ty Taypotat, Regina SK ($10,000); 4. Luke Creasy, Brownfield AB ($8,500).
SADDLE BRONC RIDING
1. Rusty Wright, Milford UT (89); 2. Chet Johnson, Douglas WY (88.5); 3. Cody Wright, Milford UT (86); 4. Wade Sundell, Boxholm IA (85); 5. Heith DeMoss, Heflin LA (83.5).
1. Rusty Wright, Milford UT ($16,000); 2. Cody Wright, Milford UT ($13,000); 3. Chet Johnson, Douglas WY ($9,500); 4. Heith DeMoss, Heflin LA ($8,500).
1/2. Tanner Byrne, Prince Albert SK; Fabiano Vieira, Perola BZ (88.5); 3. Aaron Roy, Yellow Grass SK (86.5).
1. Tanner Byrne, Prince Albert SK ($13,000); 2. Mike Lee, Fort Worth TX ($12,500); 3. Aaron Roy, Yellow Grass SK ($8,000); 4. Dakota Buttar, Kindersley SK ($7,500).